The Innovation Cluster 5G Berlin e.V. hosted the 5G Berlin Spring PoC 2023 with guests from business, industry and representatives of the Berlin Senate Administration at the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute (HHI) on March 24.
As chairman of the board, Prof. Stanczak opened the event with an introduction of the association and presented the current status of the 5G testbed. He also provided insights into the project results of the successfully completed BMBF-funded project OTB-5G+ (Open Testbed Berlin 5G and Beyond), as well as an outlook on the currently running projects CampusOS (BMWK-funded) and 6G-RIC (BMBF-funded).
Five different proof-of-concept (PoC) demonstrations were presented live to the participants:
- StaBAK – cityscape-compatible Berlin assembly variant small cell.
- Network Management and Network Slicing – network management based on ONAP, trouble ticketing & site documentation
- Digital twins with Instant Neural Radiance Field (NeRF) – Neural rendering of 3D scenes based on image and video material
- LiFi for indoor applications – Optical wireless data transmission in an office environment
- Outdoor and indoor 5G RAN – 5G data connectivity with macro cell and O-RAN small cell
A high-profile panel discussion on campus networks, Open RAN and their use in urban environments with Professor Stanczak (Fraunhofer HHI), Dr. Alexander Keller (NVIDIA), Alfons Mittermaier (highstreet technologies GmbH) and Dr. Frank Schramm (Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Operations) concluded the event.